From the TUC

#TubeStrike: Why I’ll be striking over compulsory all-night shifts

05 Aug 2015, By Guest

I’m a ticket officer and station assistant on London Underground, and I’ll be taking 24 hour strike action this evening alongside members of my union, TSSA, and unions representing other tube staff, ASLEF, RMT and Unite. We’re in dispute over the move to all-night running at weekends, starting in September.

That’s not because we oppose all night trains at weekends. They’re a great idea, and will give London a real boost. What we oppose is the way this is being rushed in to meet political aims, without thought for tube workers’ family lives, and without the negotiation that could help find a fairer way.

I currently work 35 to 40 hours a week, doing shifts of 7 1/2 hours. Currently they start as early as 5am, and finish as late as 1am. The changes London Underground Ltd wants won’t mean me working more hours, but they will alter my shift patterns, making me work more unsocial hours to cover the new all-night shifts, some of which would be 12 hours long.

Along with many others, I’m being reclassified as a ‘supervisor’. That basically means the new night shifts will be compulsory and non-negotiable, and many of us will have to do solo staffing of stations as staff are stretched out to cover.

My wife and I have two boys and a girl, aged 15, 12 and 4. Between us, we’ve worked out a pattern that lets me be home to look after the kids, whilst my wife works evenings from 5pm to 9pm. It often feels that my wife and I don’t see enough of each other, but we need the two incomes.

This will only get worse under the new terms. I can take my eldest son to RAF cadets, and my daughter to her karate class in the evenings, but the new days I have to work could put paid to that. Our childcare costs will go up too, and evening childcare is especially expensive.

My colleagues and I are worried about safety, and what it’ll mean for the tube service itself. Depending on rotas, we may have to work 7 shifts in a week, and only be guaranteed a 12 hour gap between an all-night shift and our next shift. If I’m the only one at the station, that responsibility is worrying if I’ll be tired – what if someone’s taken ill on the platform, or a drunken disturbance, if I’m tired-out and working a station alone? I’m also likely to see more verbal or physical abuse on all-night services, which is a big concern.

I voted to strike as I want to see this change introduced fairly, and this is really our last option. I don’t take the decision lightly. It disrupts the service I work hard to provide every day, and will inconvenience the passengers who rely on us. I can’t see us getting a fair hearing in the press, and it’s worrying to think what friends and customers will hear about us. It’ll mean losing a day’s pay too, which is always a concern when money is tight.

But if LU press ahead with these compulsory changes it’s going to be terrible for my family, and that’s my bottom line. The kids are growing up fast and I don’t want to miss out. I’m worried I’ll be too tired to spend quality time with them because of chopping and changing between early morning, late evening and all-night shifts.

I think a lot of it is just politics – the Mayor shouldn’t have promised a start date for night trains before negotiating fair shift arrangements with staff. He doesn’t want to admit he messed up, so he’s making out we’re the ones to blame.

I don’t object to night working, but these things have to be done fairly and with an awareness of the impact they’ll have on workers’ lives. Anyone would feel the same if their boss suddenly expected them to work all night.

So if our industrial action makes your life difficult today, I’m sorry, honestly. It’s not our intention. But these changes will do that for us every day, week in, week out, and this strike is the only way we can make our employer listen to our call for a fairer solution. Please support us – Share this message if you can, or offer your support if you see a picket line – it will mean a lot to us.

139 Responses to #TubeStrike: Why I’ll be striking over compulsory all-night shifts

1. Fay
    Aug 6th 2015, 9:24 am

At this point in time your argument for not changing your shift patterns is a pretty week one. As I was on my night shift last night which by the way started at 19:30 and finished at 8am this morning I was speaking with a colleague about child care and her husband and her are both nurses and seem to work around each other. The fact that you may have to have sporadic childcare is not enough to justify you not wanting the change, the fact that your child has a martial arts class is once again not enough to justify you not wanting to change. The strike is unreasonable and is far worse for the masses than those that want to benefit!

You might not like what I think especially as I wrote a post about it but hey if you are gonna cut off the city’s lifeline then you cannot really expect support can you?

Here is my link:

Oh also comparing to a Pilot – really! Haha sorry but that made me laugh – you were joking right???

2. jack
    Aug 6th 2015, 9:38 am

Well no Sh#t
    Mate i work 12 -16 hours a day just to put food on the table but can not go on strike because they just find some one to do my job insted of me youa re lucky you can hold London at ransome so be a man and get another job if you dont like it but dont go on strike because you fell like it and YOU CAN. I’m crying you miss out but what about me and others of thousand who can not strike when the sun shines in the wrong angle ???
    be a man and go back to work you sopinless shamless person all tube workers are little cry babies to hell wioth all of you…

3. Sonia
    Aug 6th 2015, 9:45 am

I fully support you. Nobody should have their contract changed without warning or negotiation. You didn’t sign up for those hours. Instead of complaining about the fact that you are striking for YOUR rights, people should be joining a union and striking for their own. When I started working back in 1988, it was natural to join a union – it isn’t the case these days. I was a Staff Rep in my last job in lieu of a union, and proud to believe that I did some good work on behalf of staff.

If people didn’t stand up for their rights rather than letting employers walk all over them, we would still be toiling away in victorian workhouse conditions!

4. Ian
    Aug 6th 2015, 9:57 am

Boris and his cronies are to blame for this strike…commuters are attacking the tube workers because the media have told them to do so by only reporting one side of the story…the unions fight for people’s rights at work but also take into consideration the impact the enforced changes on employees lives and of the millions of commuters that pass through London Underground every day….these negotiations are not just for a better work life balance for employees but a safer underground for commuters….employees of London Underground pay a fee for this representation….commuters do not. This strike is not about money. It’s about a better work life balance. I wouldn’t sell my life for 50k a year. Would you?
    Now politicians want to blame one half of the poor for the misery of the other half…when it is actually the posh toffs Who think people should accept whatever bone is thrown to them and say thanks very much…We have fought these posh toffs for a long time and in the process won better terms and conditions for every industry throughout this country…So instead of backing these posh toffs who think it’s funny to pit working people against each other, back your fellow working man who fights for What is fair and just for the employees who are on the front line day in day out and for a safer night tube for London. to those who compare and complain about jobs they have to do and their shifts, I say instead of attacking the hard working men and women of London Underground, I suggest you take example from these people who don’t allow themselves to be bullied and pushed around for a measly 50k a year and fight for what you believe in! Let’s hope these strikes bring some good to the employees and a safer London Underground for all.

5. Sam Blaney
    Aug 6th 2015, 10:22 am

Fully support you, my friend. I can never understand the lack of empathy from others — so caught up and bitter at their own miserable circumstances that they cannot support others.

6. Affected
    Aug 6th 2015, 10:34 am

Dear Clairelou

Why strikers should worry about people in the City? Well, I don’t know… maybe because we are their customers? Maybe because their job is to maintain a high quality public transportation service and in failing to do so, they are effectively shirking their responsibilities that they signed up for when taking their jobs? Maybe because their job, as opposed to most other peoples jobs, affect more or less EVERYBODY in the region where they work, so by not doing their job they adversely affect the lives of millions – likely including all their friends and family? It’s a bit like saying why should anyone give a damn about the implication of simply refusing to do the job they are employed to do… With that attitude, I struggle to see how some people ever get employed at all. To believe that you can give the Big Finger to your employer and continue working when you’ve eventually come to an agreement that you consider worthy of returning to work for as if nothing has happened is the biggest fallacy of all.

I am really tired of people playing the victim card. I do agree and admit that normal grievance routes are unlikely going to be successful considering the type of organisation you are dealing with here, but it is a known factor when signing up for the job. If the changes imposed to working conditions are not palatable, look for another job. Obviously don’t quit before you’ve found one, but do start looking for another job. If you’re not prepared to do the job with the amended conditions – let somebody else have a go rather than denying the City the transportation service it so heavily relies upon. If the job gets advertised with the amended conditions and no one is willing to take the job – the employer will be forced to re-think. That’s the beauty of market forces.

7. Matt
    Aug 6th 2015, 10:47 am

When we turn on each other like this, it is not the doctors, nurses, cleaners who benefit.

Yes, other jobs have worse conditions than working for TFL.

There are two responses to this: we can pull TFL staff back down; or we could ask ourselves how it is that our doctors, nurses, cleaners, teachers and so many others get such bad deals.

Using conditions in nursing as the standard against which to compare others is not a great start. Working in nursing is shit. Nurses are heroes for doing what they do and I assume we all agree that they should get paid more and work less. (Which doesn’t necessarily need to cost more. Less knackered people who are worrying about money less are a lot more efficient. The 40 hour week came from experiment Henry Ford did on the peak return on salary investment)

£7 an hour minimum wage is a joke. By 2020, £9 will be a joke. My doctor and teacher friends are leaving in droves. Can we perhaps focus on learning from TFL how more professions can achieve the kinds of conditions they have?

The few TFL staff I know _are_ grateful for what they’ve got. They also know how they got it and they know that if they let their guard slip for a moment, they will be taken advantage of.

TFL workers aren’t stupid. They know how pissed off strikes make people. But what other levers do they have to pull, at some point? They are the underdogs by some way here and it’s surprising they’ve held the ground they have.

I assume everyone complaining here that tube drivers have it better than teachers and nurses are complaining even louder in other forums about nurses ‘ and teachers’ situations.

8. Jason
    Aug 6th 2015, 10:49 am

Don’t you think that with the amount drivers get paid, well over the average London salary and one of the best paid professions in the UK, especially for a low-skilled job, that you could deal with some of these “inconveniences” a few times a year? Some drivers get paid more than others in professions which take years of schooling to be able to do, so please forgive the public for not sympathising with your plight.

9. Jonny
    Aug 6th 2015, 11:02 am

Might be time to get a job more suitable to your needs and let someone else who is more able to fill the position take over. Plenty of people able and willing to work out there.

10. Anthony
    Aug 6th 2015, 11:27 am

Is it really a case of the Tube staff being overpaid and having immensely unfair working rights or is possibly a case that many other industries have had their pay and working rights slowly eroded to the point that they are basically non existent. In comparison any other person with reasonable pay and whom are willing to continue to fight for fair working conditions are that rare they appear (or a portrayed) as being greedy and unreasonable. Particularly in the media.

11. mark
    Aug 6th 2015, 11:31 am

Does jack not realise if he had stronger representation he may not have to work 12-16 hrs a day to put food on the table. Instead he decries his fellow man for having that luxury

12. Gordon Anderson
    Aug 6th 2015, 11:42 am

I thank you for putting the alternative perspective out there – as all I’ve seen in the press so far has been the headline financial figures:

BBC suggesting drivers will get over £50k, other sources painting the matter as a greasy grab for an extra 2%, potential one off £500 bonus when night shifts start (for drivers) and potential £200 a night bonus for falling in line.

The spin does sell!

Living outwith London, in a council area with a low median wage, the spin sparkes a frustration – as we are unlikely to get near the kind of salary range being portrayed – but I like to try read both angles to read behind the lines.

The one thing I’ve had to do is constantly remind myself how ridiculously expensive London is and factor in.

If your employer suggests they support flexible working and support a work life balance, which I believe they do, I can completely see your frustrations that they should be making reasonable adjustments.

I hope others read my full comment and take a step back to realise there are 2 sides.

I do hope your union realises that for you the work life balance is the most poignant factor in your decision to strike… on that matter I can genuinely empathise with.

13. Alice
    Aug 6th 2015, 1:13 pm

Is it a rush introduction when they are advertising the night London Tube for almost a year? Maybe for TFL it is, as it takes months to repair a escalator or ages to repair a lift…

14. Kay
    Aug 6th 2015, 1:44 pm

Those who are critical seem to ignore the safety aspects of this strike. Stations opened all night staffed by one member of staff whose roster means that s/he may be knackered? What if there are disabled travellers who need assistance and there is a safety issue at the same time? This isn’t just about money. But even if it was…this comes at a time conveniently when we – the tax payers – have just lost billions through the re-sale of some of RBS shares. We bailed them out and now we are losing money on selling those shares. I’d rather complain about bankers and their bonuses than the odd days strike by a tube worker for decent working conditions and safe travelling.

15. Kat
    Aug 6th 2015, 1:48 pm

Let me get this right. You welcome the 24h tube on weekend, but …but what? But you had not been asked nicely by TFL bosses, therefore you strike? or…but YOU don’t want to work night shifts, so 24h tube is fine, as long as someone else works the nights? Someone, I imagine, who is not a union member.
    Personally, I cycle. I could not be bothered less by tube strike. And as far as I’m concerned, have your strike, we all know that it is not going to work, and that there will always be someone who can use the extra money for the night shift. I understand your reasons (I don’t agree with them though). But please, have the decency to spare us the bullshit about you welcoming the 24h tube, BUT. Or that you are concerned about your or the passengers’ safety. Yes, there will be a lot of drunk people – the brits cannot drink socially, they drink to oblivion. Surprise surprise. My question is: is not introducing a 24h service on the weekend nights a proper response to that issue?

16. Poppy Bird
    Aug 6th 2015, 3:38 pm

I support your reasonable claims, my friend. You have the RIGHT to fight for a fair work- life balance- your fight is everyone’s fight. All the people who have terrrible working conditions should be applauding you and your colleagues for taking this action. When one group of people is able to bring inequities of working conditions to light,
    others’ conditions may also have a chance
    to improve. I’m so sorry some people on this thread have such terrible shift work. I hope things can change for you. But your current lack of decent conditions shouldn’t mean everyone else should have bad conditions too. I agree with the person who commented we need to be vigilant about workers’ conditions and rights, or we’ll return to Victorian/ more exploitive conditions. I also don’ t understand the logic of complaining about the inconvenience of losing an essential service while at the same time declaring it’s not worth payng for!

17. Spencer Bailey
    Aug 6th 2015, 4:28 pm

Jobs/hours sometimes change, you have to adapt around these changes. or find another job. It’s the same as finding a new job, we always try to get a job that suits our lifestyle, but most people have to make compromises somewhere, otherwise they’d be broke.

My advice, gracefully stick it out for a bit, then find a job that suits your lifestyle better. Have you thought about starting a business?

18. Matt
    Aug 6th 2015, 4:56 pm

“My advice, gracefully stick it out for a bit, then find a job that suits your lifestyle better.”

The approach to life you’re implicitly suggesting is to try to improve your world, but if that’s too hard then give up. No! Good grief no! Every advance in human history has relied on people not putting up with the status quo, pushing for something better.

“Have you thought about starting a business?”

…and then if that doesn’t work out just sort of give up and move on to something else again? If you don’t have the grit to attempt to improve your working environment, from my own experience you’re certainly going to struggle to run your own business.

19. Matt
    Aug 6th 2015, 5:01 pm

“gracefully stick it out”

“a lifestyle above your station”

“let someone else who is more able to fill the position [i.e. is prepared to accept worse working conditions] take over”

“If you’re not prepared to do the job with the amended conditions – let somebody else have a go”

We seem to be essentially recommending a race towards serfdom. Good fucking god people. Look at yourselves.

20. Matt
    Aug 6th 2015, 5:10 pm

“You welcome the 24h tube on weekend, but …but what? But you had not been asked nicely by TFL bosses, therefore you strike? or…but YOU don’t want to work night shifts, so 24h tube is fine, as long as someone else works the nights? ”

He clearly states he’s happy to do night shifts provided he is offered:

1) more time to rest between shifts (because shift work is brutal[1])
    2) more money to make up for the additional cost of childcare, which is really expensive[2]

He’s very clear about that if you read the article.

21. tom
    Aug 6th 2015, 5:16 pm

There is a simple solution. Change the job. There is plenty of people that don’t mind doing what you are afraid of to.

22. Pauline
    Aug 6th 2015, 5:36 pm

It will NOT be compulsory to work night shifts after the short transition period, during which they will be paid an EXTRA £200 PER SHIFT. It is DISGRACEFUL that they are striking.

23. Tina
    Aug 6th 2015, 6:15 pm

Much as I would prefer an all night service on the tube changes to working practices should not be imposed without proper consultation and agreement. Good luck to you all for standing up to bullying employers. In solidarity.

24. Phil Davies
    Aug 6th 2015, 6:39 pm

Change happens: Here is a bit of reality:

1, London needs a 24 hour transport service.

2, Therefore it will happen.

3, If no one wants to work at night it will be automated.

Remember the printers union which refused to understand change. Well most likely the same will happen. The Job will become redundant and be replaced by a different skill.

25. Taffyman27
    Aug 6th 2015, 6:46 pm

The right to strike was hardwon, and the right of an individual or a group to withdraw their labour is important, and if a group wishes to strike as part of a disagreement with their employers than that is their right.

But it seems to that the current dispute is great example of the difference between the reality of work for most of us in the 21St century, and those relatively small groups of highly unionized industrial l powerful, largely e public sector workers like tube staff.

Let me say that I am not and never have been a Union.member, the industry I work (accounting).has pretty much 0%.union representation, and as I am self employed withdrawing my labour would be rather pointless.That said my father and grandfather were both lifelong member of the NUM and I grew up with all this history and traditions of small Welsh mining community.

But as I understand things the heart of this dispute is that the staff are unhappy with the change in working pattern and that despite the offer of an additional £200 a shift the workforce still feel that they are not being properly compensated for the impact the new shift patterns will have on their work life balance.

This seems a very long way from my grandad going on strike in 1926 for a extra 3Bob a week, but I suppose times change.

My question to David, is would you see as adequate compensation for the unsocial hours? You say say you are not opposed to the night tube per say, but Don’t like the new shifts, so do you want more money? Less hours or both?

26. David
    Aug 6th 2015, 8:08 pm

Underground staff have amazing terms and conditions because as usual the union rule and it is tax payers money. My friend works as a customer service assistant and has a starting salary of £30k for standing around and talking to his work mates for most of the day (his words not mine). £30k not bad considering care workers work longer hours for half of that (I know I’m a care worker and work all these anti social shifts you are avoiding). The hours were changed for underground staff from a 35 hour contract to 37.5 and as a result the staff were awarded two additional weeks paid annual leave so now they get 10 in total. 10 weeks paid leave and they get two free travel passes each. My friend said there is an unwritten rule that staff still knock off 30mins early so they still work 35 hours. This is to put a middle finger up to senior management. You cannot complain about your terms and conditions mate. I get 20 days annual leave and work 1 weekend a month because I work in a care home that has to be staffed 24/7. It’s about time these services that are funded by tax payers all realise that the public expects flexibility and value for money for the service that we pay for. By the way my salary is £14,700 and I had to pay £30 to get to work today in a taxi because of the strike

27. Matt
    Aug 6th 2015, 8:14 pm

Your text is too small to read and some #^%!?€$%# of a graphic designer decided to use those tags that tell my iPhone I’m not allowed to zoom in and read it. Presumably the shape of my eyeballs is no longer hip enough. Sort it out.

28. James Maidment
    Aug 7th 2015, 12:12 am

For heavens sake, the people here who are complaining, are the ones who need a union. Get a grip and stop whining about how much harder your job is. All the benefits like maternity leave 40 hour weeks and overtime pay were fought for you by people who set up the unions. Stop being so bloody blind and organise yourselves. Start seeing how common the problems are and how you are being encouraged to blame other working people rather than the people who ate earning the most and laughing

29. Fay
    Aug 7th 2015, 5:57 am

Since my previous comment there has been a lot said, especially with regards to people not whinging about how worse of their shift work patterns are etc, etc.

I have no problem working my shifts, I am not striking because I care about my patients.

The point I was trying to make was that if your conditions were bad i could understand. If you were being underpaid for working terrible hours I could understand. But your conditions are not bad and your pay is pretty good so I really cannot understand why you would strike??

Like Kat said in an earlier comment ‘You welcome the 24h tube on weekend, but …but what? But you had not been asked nicely by TFL bosses, therefore you strike? or…but YOU don’t want to work night shifts, so 24h tube is fine, as long as someone else works the nights? Someone, I imagine, who is not a union member.’

It just doesn’t read right?! Therefore seems unjustifiable…

30. Vin
    Aug 7th 2015, 12:47 pm

Maybe, if your lot didnt strike at the drop of a hat (like when a colleague is fired for being inebriated at work) you’d get more sympathy.

Fact is you’re on a generous wage and are abusing collective bargaining and strike provisions for any little thing you don’t like.

Time to man up or find another profession. Try driving a bus maybe, they are more skilled and only get paid half. And they also drive at night.

31. Rene
    Aug 7th 2015, 6:48 pm

I fully support you. It’s a shame that you are the last ones able to make their voices heard in our modern Britain where people are thrown against others by a government that govern through division. If anyone thinks that a change in a contract without negotiation is right, and that you shouldn’t go on strike because they can’t, well, thatcher’s spirit has won. We need to find again a way to a more compassionate society where greed is not the main value. We all deserve a good life, not only the City boys and finance freaks.

32. Robert
    Aug 7th 2015, 8:54 pm

I’m sure TFL is at fault. If you want to take collective action fine, but the obvious thing to do is to refuse to staff the all night service until you negotiate appropriate terms, not to inflict misery on millions of Londoners who depend on the Tube, many of whom work longer hours for lower pay, in less secure jobs and in worse conditions than you do.

33. Zu
    Aug 7th 2015, 10:59 pm

I can imagine that you may feel a sense of injustice. But as far as I am aware, night service its not something that has been recently introduce, so I take, you all had plenty of time to work it all out. You are very privileged with your work conditions, comparing to so many people living in London.
    Your strike is affecting everyone. People were unable to get to work, school, doctor, hospital and they will have to deal with the consequences of this. They won’t go on strike. They will deal with it.
    Not like you. Its nothing surprising that the work conditions are changing. Its pretty common on the recent job market. None is ever happy about it, but what people do is either accept it or they look for another job. Definitely dispute it with your employer. If this change is a breach of your contract – seek legal advise. But don’t be so selfish and act like an angry child that is not getting its way. So you won’t have your way but lets make sure that all of those million people will be affected.

34. Zu
    Aug 7th 2015, 11:01 pm

Or maybe, let’s all go on strike! and see how that works out.

35. Ian
    Aug 9th 2015, 12:03 pm

You have exactly the same choice as every single other person in every single other job in the world. If you don’t like what your boss is asking you to do or don’t think it’s fair, then either suck it up, or quit your job and find one more to your liking.

I have no idea why public sector workers think they have this magical third option of ‘stamp your feet and hold the country hostage until you get your way’.

36. Ray
    Aug 9th 2015, 5:50 pm

You gotta fight….. For your right….. To paaaaaaRTEEEEEY

37. Max
    Aug 12th 2015, 11:46 am

What nonsense. Are you better than a nurse who works 12 HR night shifts in a high dependency unit often on his or her feet most of the shift? Or do you think these people don’t have kids and families too? I don’t care how much you earn as we can’t all earn the same but the fact is you are not the only one working unsociable hours and won’t be the last.

38. Tim E
    Aug 12th 2015, 3:55 pm

I haven’t read anywhere that the unions have been given a brief on what they’d accept as minimum terms.

If they have those terms, then they should publish them so the public can see for themselves what they’re offering compared to what TFL have offered. Then the public can be better placed to determine which side of the strike they support.

At the moment, all the unions have done is complain that the offer isn’t good enough and that the roster is unworkable. Shift work? I forgot what it is fire fighters & police officers do (given that their life is on the line in their jobs).
    Unsociable hours? Yeah nurses must be on 9am-5pm roster.
    Work/Balance? I don’t see anyone in the armed forces complaining

Then the fall back argument of “why should we accept lower standard just because other people have”

Well that’s because there’s a point where the investment (salary) in your work produces diminishing returns compared to what you actually do.

39. Helen
    Aug 21st 2015, 7:44 am

I can’t believe some of the comments I’ve read here. Thank goodness for Rene’s perspective! (Aug 7th, 6.48pm), with which I agree wholeheartedly.

Why keep comparing with the evidently worse standards of employment that others are experiencing? Why not aspire to better standards for all? Haven’t they asked themselves why conditions are so bad? Do they like seeing nursing staff tired out with long shifts in high dependency units? Why accept poor conditions for ANY employee? Or, are all these seemingly resentful people all joining the big race to the bottom ?

What about DEFENDING PRINCIPLES? eg. In this particular case, the principle of consultation/negotiation of changes at work. ie. Principles that should apply across the board. The Law doesn’t help those who’ve gone along with things at work they don’t agree with. Unless you object, the Law says you’ve effectively agreed. THAT IS HOW SO MANY PEOPLE’S HARD-WON RIGHTS HAVE BEEN LOST. Those who can only moan about how so much better off the tube workers are should think again – beyond their own blinkered individualistic every man for himself limitations. That attitude is PRECISELY what has led us to a UK workplace dominated NOT by unions by parasitic Recruitment Agencies etc. Those resentful moaners are the DIVIDED AND RULED. I encourage you please to think again about the principles here that the tube workers are defending as they should also apply to you all.The tube workers are doing us ALL a favour and it’s only because employers generally take no notice of concerns raised through other channels, which in this case had failed that a strike came about. It’s not at the drop of a hat – a strike is THE LAST RESORT.